Lift door panel, Selfridges circa 1928
By the 1920s Selfridges was the most glamorous department store in London. American shopping magnate Gordon Selfridge had opened the Oxford Street store in 1909.
Selfridges initially employed young women to operate the store lifts but, after World War II, they were replaced by disabled ex-servicemen. This lift was removed during a refurbishment of the store in 1970-1972.